|Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum Rules and Regulations
- All bags and/or camera cases will be inspected prior to entering the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum
- Visitors should plan to wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Guests are encouraged to avoid open-toed sandals, high-heels, necklaces or other items that can get caught, as well as bags that are too heavy to carry comfortably. Sunscreen and/or sunglasses are advised.
- Visitors are required to wear proper attire (as determined by Museum personnel in their sole discretion) while on the Museum property. Shirts and shoes must be worn at all times.
- Display of profane, obscene or injurious language, texts or graphics for public view is prohibited. Visitors displaying such language on clothing will be asked to either change the garment or otherwise cover the offensive image/language or leave the Museum property.
- To preserve the artifacts on display, guests are prohibited from touching any of the exhibits or displays and must exercise due care when taking close-up photographs of any exhibit or display.
- Please do not lean on showcases to avoid moving or tipping them.
- Visitors are welcome to take pictures for personal use only, with a hand-held camera and electronic flash. Photographs cannot be published, sold, reproduced, transferred, distributed or otherwise commercially exploited in any manner whatsoever.
- Professional photographic equipment, video cameras, recording devices, tripods, monopods, lights and other such equipment are not permitted without prior written approval from the Museum. Parties interested in using such equipment should contact the Public Relations Department for approval.
- Pets are not permitted. Guests who rely on service animals or who are training service animals may bring them into the Museum, provided that the animals remain properly leashed. Guests are solely responsibility for the care and control of their animals. Service animals must be twelve (12) months or older. Animals under twelve (12) months of age will not be permitted on Museum property.
- Police or other certified assistance animals will be permitted when accompanied by a qualified handler on official business.
- Personal wheelchairs are welcome at the Museum. Traditional electric assistance scooters are also welcome, however, upright or "Segway" scooters are not permitted on Museum property. Please note that there are areas of the Museum that are not wheelchair accessible, as they require guests to navigate stairs and ladders as well as long periods of walking and standing. The Intrepid Museum offers seating along the hangar and flight deck levels.
- Except in designated areas, no eating or drinking is allowed at the Museum.
- The solicitation of visitors or the selling of any items is prohibited within the Museum, at its entrance, on Pier 86 or along boundary sidewalks.
- Possession and/or use of any drugs is strictly prohibited anywhere on Museum property.
- Alcoholic beverages that are not sold on premises are not permitted.
- Bicycles, scooters, tricycles, skate boards, roller / in-line skates or shoes with wheels are not permitted on Museum property.
- Minor children should not be left unattended. All guests under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult while visiting the Museum—there are no exceptions. Guests under the age of 16 unaccompanied by an adult will not be permitted to enter the Museum. For youth/student groups, at least one (1) chaperone is required for every ten (10) children.
- Strollers are permitted in all galleries unless otherwise noted.
- For the safety of all visitors, running inside the Museum or on Pier 86 is strictly prohibited.
- No visitor is allowed to create or engage in any activity that could be described as a performance, a show or a happening, make a declaration or speech, create a media event or photo opportunity on Museum property or give tours of the exhibitions without prior written approval from the Museum.
- No firearms or weapons are permitted anywhere on Museum property.
- Offensive, abusive or threatening language or behavior is strictly prohibited.
In accordance with State and City law:
- Open fires or personal grills are strictly prohibited.
- Smoking, including smokeless electronic cigarettes, is strictly prohibited anywhere on Museum property or inside any exhibit area. Smoking on Pier 86 is prohibited by law. The only area in which smoking is permitted is on the sidewalk of 12th Avenue.
- No vandalism. It is illegal to deface, damage, mutilate or destroy the Museum property, artifacts, exhibits or equipment including altering or tampering with computers or software. Handling artifacts, exhibits or equipment without the presence and permission of a Museum staff member is prohibited.
- Indecent exposure, lewd or sexual acts or behavior are strictly prohibited.
- Fighting, provoking a fight, or engaging in disorderly or boisterous conduct is strictly prohibited.
Failure to adhere to the rules and regulations of the Museum could result in your immediate ejection from the Museum property without a reimbursement of your cost of admission. Please see the back of your admission ticket for additional terms and conditions, including the requirement that you consent to a search of your person and/or belongings, if so requested by Museum staff.
Violations of the above guidelines and policies may result in your being denied entry or asked to leave the Museum (without refund).
THE MUSEUM RESERVES THE RIGHT, AT ANY TIME AND FOR ANY REASON OR NO REASON AT ALL, TO IMPLEMENT ADDITIONAL AND/OR MORE RESTRICTIVE RULES AND REGULATIONS THAN THOSE CONTAINED HEREIN. THE MUSEUM ALSO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DENY ADMISSION TO ANY MEMBER OF THE PUBLIC WHO IS CONSIDERED TO BE A THREAT TO THE SAFETY OF THE PROPERTY OR GUESTS OF THE MUSEUM.